Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Horses

After class I kept thinking about horses, and particularly about the "bit," that metal bar that goes in a horse's mouth, behind its teeth, attached to the bridle lines.  That seems obviously uncomfortable at best, very painful if tugged.  That was just my theory.   Research (Google) revealed that there's a whole movement in the direction of "bitless" bridles.  I think that this must be the result of making decisions which take non-humans into account.  Alternatives are around, if we look for them.  Here's an example:  HERE.

1 comment:

  1. I had heard of people trying to find alternatives for the metal horseshoes for the sake of the health of their animals, but it never occurred to me just how awful this would feel. The pictures of horses with the bit in their mouths looks incredibly painful.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't get a comment to post, feel free to email it to me--I can post it for you. --C