Friday, September 22, 2017

Assignment for Monday, September 25

I was going to link you to some pictures of crocodiles eating other large animals.  But the humor of it just died as I became more and more horrified.  So I won't share that with you. 

But for Monday, read and summarize:  248-256.

I was thinking about the idea that we're grow more inclined to call you a cause of an event as the effort required to stop it shrinks.  What if I could save the drowning child merely by saying "unto the whole person"?   Still...I don't think you're right to think that I murdered the child if I don't say it. 

Now.  What if I could save the child by merely continuing to breathe normally--but instead, I knowingly hold my breath for a few seconds.  In that case, I go out of my way, slightly, to change my behavior.  I had nothing to do with the child's plight--maybe that was an accident--but I'm still showing, if not a plan to end his life, at least a willingness to help end it

I have no idea if "go out of my way slightly" can really bear that much moral importance.  But that's how it seems to me at the moment.  We'll talk.


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't get a comment to post, feel free to email it to me--I can post it for you. --C